Frequently Asked Questions
What is SPARK ONE?
SPARK ONE is a comprehensive online self-assessment tool created specifically for hospital medicine professionals. The activity contains 450+ vignette-style multiple-choice questions covering 100% of the American Board of Internal Medicine’s Focused Practice in Hospital Medicine (FPHM) exam blueprint.
SPARK ONE is your complete resource for successfully preparing for the FPHM exam, or assessing your general knowledge in hospital medicine. This self-paced study guide engages learners through an open-book format, allowing users to review detailed learning objectives and discussion points, and define individual areas of strengths and weaknesses.
How is SPARK ONE different from the SPARK tool that was launched in September 2015?
In 2015, the Society of Hospital Medicine (SHM) released SHM SPARK, a self-assessment tool consisting of 175 case-based exam questions designed to cover the systems-based content comprising 38% of the FPHM blueprint: Palliative Care, Perioperative Medicine, Patient Safety and Quality.
SPARK ONE is the first complete edition of the online self-assessment tool that covers 100% of the FPHM exam blueprint. This NEW activity offers more than 450 case-based exam questions for all your hospital medicine studying needs.
What format is SPARK ONE available in?
SPARK ONE is available as an online self-assessment tool only. Options within SPARK ONE allow you to review the self-study questions with or without answers, keep a record of your results to track your progress or review incorrect questions in print format.
I purchased the original SPARK activity; can I still access my account?
SHM SPARK participants may access the activity at the following URL:
Access will be available up until the activity’s expiration date of September 1, 2018.
How many MOC points and CME credits is SPARK ONE approved for?
The Society of Hospital Medicine is accredited by the Accreditation Council for Continuing Medical Education (ACCME) to provide continuing medical education for physicians.
The Society of Hospital Medicine designates this enduring activity for a maximum of 23 AMA PRA Category 1 CreditTM. Physicians should only claim credit commensurate with the extent of their participation in the activity.
Successful completion of this CME activity, which includes participation in the evaluation component, enables the participant to earn up to 23 MOC points in the American Board of Internal Medicine's (ABIM) Maintenance of Certification (MOC) program. It is the CME activity provider's responsibility to submit participant completion information to ACCME for the purpose of granting ABIM MOC credit.
How do I get started?
After logging in with your SHM username and password, select the “Self-study” tab to get started. Select the FPHM exam blueprint topic area (module) with which you would like to begin. If it is your first time entering the module, you will be presented with the SPARK ONE CME Information Page. After you have read and accepted the information, you will be directed into the module.
Navigating SPARK ONE modules:
Users are able to navigate freely through the module questions using the Answer Sheet to select specific questions, or by using the “Next Question” and “Previous Question” buttons at the bottom of the question page.
1. On the Answer Sheet, click on any “View” link to the right of a question to proceed.
2. Read and consider the case presented, select your answer and then click “Submit.” You will have two attempts to answer each question correctly. Correct responses will be provided with immediate feedback.
3. If your first attempt is incorrect, you will have the opportunity to submit a second response by selecting “Retry Question.” After two incorrect attempts, you will be presented with the correct answer, discussion and references.
4. After you have completed a module, return to the Answer Sheet and click “Submit All Answers.”
Can I retake the self-assessment if I did not achieve a passing score?
If you do not achieve a passing score of 80% for a given module, you have the option of clearing the incorrect responses only and making additional attempts to answer correctly, or you may clear the entire module and start from the beginning.
What is the practice exam?
Practice exams can be used as pre-tests and/or post-tests to identify and strengthen your personal knowledge gaps. The practice exam allows users to answer questions in random order to test their knowledge in all topic areas, or those specific to their individual learning needs. These exams can be customized based on content area and number of questions.
How do I claim my CME credits and MOC points?
• ABIM diplomates may claim MOC points after successfully passing each module with a score of 80% or higher, by selecting “Claim Credits” on the Answer Sheet. You will need to verify your ABIM ID number and date of birth before submitting your request. All MOC points will be directly reported to the ACCME PARS system.
• To claim CME credit, you must complete all SPARK ONE modules with a score of at least 80% and complete the CME Evaluation.
• To verify that your MOC points and CME credits have been claimed, you may review your activity transcript by clicking your username in the top right-hand corner, and selecting “View Transcript.” Earned credits will appear in the “Credits” column.